What you will learn:
- How to transform the raw olive into something deliciously edible.
- How to cure and pickle olives using a variety of different techniques.
- How to cure olives and have them ready for an antipasto platter in less than a fortnight.
What you get:
- Jars of olives ready to continue the pickling process at home.
- Samples of olives that have been prepared ready to dress and eat.
- Recipes for the techniques covered in the workshop.
- Complimentary tea or coffee with biscotti from the kitchen of Massaros winery.
- An authentic experience of picking the olives that we will be using in the workshop.
Presented by Maria Ciavarella in collaboration with Massaros Winery. Olives straight from a tree are inedibly bitter and must be cured and then pickled somehow to make them edible. In this workshop, they will cover several different techniques to cure olives, each with a different waiting – or curing – period. In order to fully experience the stages of the processes, some olives will have been partially cured before the class for you to continue the process; as well as taking home fresh olives for you to start from scratch. Tastings will be available so you can decide which style is your preferred. We will use both black and green olives. If you grow olives, bring along some samples so that they can suggest some ways to cure them.