For details of the local fruit farmers, see the relevant part of the Local Food Directory.
Ok, since you’re reading this, I’m going to assume that a) you’re not completely self-sufficient re veggies and b) you’re interested in buying local.
If so, it may not actually be that easy for you to meet all of your veggie needs from local producers. Here is a simple example: there appear to be no local producers of broad beans, rocket, rockmelons or sweet potatoes, even though these veggies can all be easily grown in Melbourne.
A final point by way of introduction: veggies are mostly annuals so a farmer may change what veggies they are growing from year to year. Any lists, such as those included in this article, are therefore indicative only.
There are 3 local farmers who grow a reasonably wide range of veggies:
|Farmer||Available from||Indicative list of veggies|
|Just Picked||Farm gate, from Dec to Aug1.
Bundoora Park Farmers’ Market.
Eltham Farmers’ Market.
|Beans, beetroot, cucumbers, garlic, lettuce, onions, pumpkins, silverbeet, snow peas, spinach, sweetcorn, tomatoes, zucchini and herbs.|
|Kinglake Vegetables||Eltham Community Craft and Produce Market.||Beans, beetroot, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower, carrots, celery, eggplant, fennel, kale, leeks, swedes, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin, silverbeet, snow peas, spring onions, tomatoes and zucchini.|
|Sugarloaf Produce||Eltham Farmers’ Market.
Hurstbridge Farmers’ Market.
Kingsbury Drive Community Market.
Yarra Valley Regional Food Group Farmers’ Market.
|Beans, beetroot, capsicum, carrot, cucumber, eggplant, garlic, potatoes, pumpkin, radish, rhubarb, rocket, spinach, tomatoes and zucchini.|
There are a further 6 local farmers who are specialised:
- Garlic: Arthurs Creek Garlic, Sure Things and Top Hundred Acres.
- Pumpkins and herbs: Weeping Grevillea Nursery.
- Basil and capsicum: Yarra Valley Gateway Estate.
- Tomatoes: Yarra Valley Gourmet Greenhouse.
Note that, whilst most of the local veggie producers appear to be chemical-free, none are Certified Organic2. If Certified Organic is what you want, then you can still buy it locally although it typically won’t have been grown locally. Your options here include:
- Box Hill South (home delivery): Organic Angels.
- Croydon South: Eastfield Natural Foods.
- Eltham: Dynamic Vegies.
- Eltham: Peninsula Fresh Organics at Eltham Farmers’ Market.
- Kew: Kew Organics.
- Montmorency: Edes & Bibi – Organic & Fine Foods.
- Northcote: Terra Madre (a truly wonderful shop!).
- Templestowe: Yarra Organics at Pettys Orchard.
- Thomastown (home delivery): Greenline Organic.
1. Saturdays, Sunday and public holidays. 80 Old Plenty Road, Yan Yean, 3755.
2. Sure Things, a producer of garlic, being the exception which proves the rule.