Ben Moore, from Ben’s Bees, will share his love for bees, lifelong knowledge, practical skills, tips and tricks required to start and maintain your healthy bee colony in your garden. You will learn everything you need to know about urban bee husbandry to become a successful beekeeper.
Specifically, you will learn:
- How to build and look after your hive seasonally.
- What equipment do you need and how you can use basic equipment from your household.
- Where to keep your bees, positioning in the garden, flight-path direction.
- The importance of pollination and positive impact on your garden.
- The biology of bees – understanding cast system and swarm control to make sure you are looking after your bees successfully.
- Identification and disease management of bees.
- Environmental (e.g. weather, seasons) impact on colony health.
- How to set up a bee-friendly garden.
- Legal requirements.
There will also be a demonstration on how to harvest bee products such as honey, pollen, bees wax, propolis (bee glue), together with an explanation of why bees produce these products and their uses and benefits for humans an bees. Participants will have an opportunity to see, smell, taste and feel all the products.
The workshop will also include opening the hive, holding bees, tasting honey from the hive and much more. All the protective clothing will be supplied.