FareShare rescues food that would otherwise go to waste and cooks it into free meals for people in need. It also has a large veggie garden.
Throughout the day, there will be both tours of the garden and mini-workshops. The garden tours will be every hour, at half past the hour. The workshops will include:
- Bees and beekeeping in the urban environment (presenter: Nic Dowse; 10.20am, 11.45am and 1.45pm).
- Learn about how to grow sweet potatoes (presenter: Dr Chris Williams; 10.45am, 12.45pm and 2.45pm).
- Urban agriculture and food waste avoidance – programs in the City of Yarra (presenter: Eloise Lobsey; 11am and 2pm).
- Worm farming – how to deal with organic waste in a small space and its role in composting (presenter: Helena Buxton; 11.25am and 1.20pm).
- An innovative way of transforming food waste into nutrient-rich organic fertiliser (presenter: Aaron Moynes; 12.15pm).
- Accessing dis-used urban sites for the creation of community gardens (presenter: Merrin Layden; 1pm).