This is the penultimate LFC News before its editor goes on a six week(!) holiday (mostly campervanning around the 100 most beautiful villages in France). Normal service will resume at the end of September.
As someone who is about to go to France, I thought that I had better practice my wine drinking. So, I have been working my way around the wineries of Nillumbik. Luckily for me, I had access to Mary’s guide to local wine. This guide covers 11 of the wineries, listing which wines each of them make and where their products can be purchased.
Who knows – maybe I’ll write a guide to local patisseries when I get back! Or, more likely, fruit and veggies.
Hurstbridge Food Swap is on hold
The Hurstbridge Food Swap will not take place from August to October. So, the next swap will be on 1st November.
A big thanks to …
I thought that I would take this opportunity to thank everyone that I, along with others at LFC, have worked with over the last six or so months. Apologies if I have missed anyone. And note that individuals are named once only even if (as many of them do) they participate in more than one of the activities.
Active contributors to the LFC newsletter: Helen Simpson; Lara McKinley; Robyn Currie.
LFC committee: Ann Strutt; Chris Chapple; Emma Brett; Fay Loveland; Richard Rowe.
Planter boxes: Andrew Sharard; David Hicks; Glenn Mansfield; Karyn Knight; Matthew Laity; Meredith Plain; Nathan Ezard; Pam Jenkins; Richard Lee.
Community Market Stall: Andrew Stahmer; Deb Stahmer; Elodie; Jan Peggie; John Peggie; Stuart Rodda; Tash Hardidge.
Eltham Food Swap: Bev Robertson; Claire Butler; Tess Gardiner.
Information Marquee at Eltham Farmers’ Market: Adam Howie; Christina Spry; Evan Gellert; Felicity Gordon; Jasmine Powell; Gillian Essex; Karen Olsen; Karen Thomson; Katherine Barling; Kris Dixon; Linda Laos; Marina Bistrin; Natalie Kellett; Nina Gormley; Paul Gale-Baker; Samantha Patterson; Sabi Buehler.
Other Honourable Mentions: Carol Woolcock; Dione Fisher; Hans Hoffman; Kate Rothacker; Michelle Hegarty; Robin Gale-Baker; Vera Herman.
Remember from a previous LFC news: if you are doing something active in the food field and are willing to have a brief pen portrait on our website, please email us with a sentence or two plus picture. Ditto if you would like to nominate someone else for inclusion. C’mon, don’t be shy!
Gourmet sausage making
What: Always wondered how to make wonderful gourmet sausages? CWA Vice President Marie Vassallo will show you how to impress your friends with these gourmet delights.
When: Thursday, 10th September, 1-2pm.
Where: Diamond Valley Library.
Enquiries/Bookings: Dione Fisher by phone (9434 3809) or email.
Further information: LFC calendar entry.
Upcoming events from previous LFC News
Over the next week
- Banyule 2015/16 grants information session: Wednesday 5th August, from 1pm.
- Banyule 2015/16 grants information session: Wednesday 5th August, from 7pm.
- Gala grafting day & winter market at Meerlieu: Saturday, 8th August, 10am-2.30pm.
- Grow your own – summer veggies from seed: Saturday, 8th August, 2-4pm.
- Backyard chooks for beginners: Saturday, 8th August, 2-4pm.
Over the next month
- Handmade pasta: Thursday, 13th August, 10.30am-12.30pm.
- Sourdough bread making: Saturday, 15th August, 10am-1pm.
- Living soils and the new NPK (nutrients, physical structure, key biology): Saturday, 15th August, 1-4pm.
- Beekeeping – a taster: Sunday, 16th August, 2pm.
- Advanced composting: Tuesday, 18th August, 11.30am-12.30pm.
- Free community meal at the Shak: Saturday 22nd August, 1-3pm.
- Setting up and maintaining a worm farm: Saturday 22nd August, 2.30pm-4.30pm.
- Thai cooking: Thursday, 27th August, 2-3pm.
- Grow your own summer veggies from seed: Thursday, 27th August, 6.30-8pm.
- Well bread: Saturday, 29th August, midday-5pm.