Where do you get your manure?
At Robin Gale-Baker’s request, our website now has a schedule of when a wide variety of fruit trees, berries and vines might be ready to harvest. Please email us with any suggested changes.
Food is free @ the Diamond Valley Library
Marlies Tammes has posted a ‘food is free at Diamond Valley library’ picture and, thus far, it has received 600 likes (and 125 shares)! Click here to view the post and picture. Thanks to Dione Fisher for going to the effort to become my Facebook friend so that she could alert me to the post.
As a little experiment, I did a bucket of ‘food is free’ lemons at the last Eltham Farmers’ Market – all gone within the first hour.
Whilst on the subject of popular Facebook posts, a recent post by Sustainable Gardening Australia on a healthy meal vending machine at Westfield Doncaster reached 52,000 people! Has anyone tried the food?
Most popular newsletter links
I thought you might be interested in which links have been clicked most often since I took over editing this newsletter in February:
Macleod Organic Community Garden working bee
Grow your own – summer veggies from seed
What: Workshop leader: Maria Ciavarella. Address released at time of booking. Start your summer veggie garden from seeds. This workshop shows you different seed sowing techniques to save money in the garden, grow heirloom veggie varieties and then save the seed for future seasons. Hands-on in this workshop means that you take home many punnets of seeds ready to be grown for your garden.
When: Saturday, 8th August, 2-4pm.
Where: My Green Garden, Donvale.
Cost: $35 (concessions available).
Enquiries/Bookings: Trybooking website.
Further information: LFC calendar entry.
Upcoming events from previous LFC News
Over the next week
- Change makers: Wednesday, 15th July, 6-9pm.
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Thursday, 16th July, 7-8pm.
- Sourdough bread making: Saturday, 18th July, 10am-3pm.
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Saturday, 18th July, 11am-midday.
- Macleod Organic Community Garden working bee: Saturday, 18th July, 1-4pm.
- Soil matters: Saturday, 18th July, 2pm.
- Cheesemaking: Saturday, 18th July, 2-5pm.
- How to grow and cook Winter Asian vegetables: Sunday, 19th July, 2-5pm.
- Grow your own – on a shoestring: Tuesday, 21st July, 11.30am-12.30pm.
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Wednesday, 22nd July, 7-8pm.
Over the next month
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Thursday, 23rd July, 7-8pm.
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Saturday, 25th July, 11am-midday.
- A winter garden: Tuesday, 28th July, 7-8.15pm.
- Save our citrus from gall wasps: Wednesday, 29th July, 7-8pm.
- Pale Ale Mania: Sunday, 2nd August, from 9.30am.
- Grow your own – summer veggies from seed: Saturday, 8th August, 2-4pm.
- Backyard chooks for beginners: Saturday, 8th August, 2-4pm.
- Living soils and the new NPK (nutrients, physical structure, key biology): Saturday, 15th August, 1-4pm.