Local food-related events
Home gardeners celebration this Sunday!
The festivities begin at 12 noon this Sunday at Eltham High School. Time to meet other likeminded gardeners and then join in the feast! All produce should have been dropped off by now and you should have your entrance ticket. Have a wonderful day. We are looking for LFC members to host the usual tasting stall at the Feast. If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apples, apples, …
The fruit is ripening and the date is nearing for you to enter the apple pie competition! There will be a celebration of local produce in the Eltham Town Mall on March 29, and that is when the apple pies will be judged.
Harvest Month tastings
This second of the month’s tastings will be at Nillumbik Cellars, Chute Street, Diamond Creek, this Saturday, March 15 from 10am. Not only is the food delicious but the conversation is very friendly and interesting. Check the calendar for more tasting dates.
Setting up a basic pantry
Are you changing the food you eat or purchase or maybe want to start from scratch? Come along and hear local foodie and cook, Duang, explain what is needed. Diamond Valley Library, Friday March 21, 2-4pm. This is another Harvest Month event.
- Caring for fruit trees. March 15, 2-4pm Edendale. $25. Bookings 9433 3711.
- Getting ready for your winter veggie patch at BAAG. Saturday March 15th 10:00am with Angelo Eliades, after the food swap.
- Autumn asian vegetables workshop. This workshop will explain the different growing requirements of a variety of Asian vegetables that anyone can grow in their backyard by experienced permaculturist Seila Hierk. Then join Japanese cook Mikoto Araki in the kitchen to learn how to cook delicious Asian dishes for the autumn season.10am – 1pm Saturday 15th March at Murundaka Cohousing Community, 42 Bamfield Road, Heidelberg Heights. Please bring an apron for cooking. Tea, coffee and snacks provided. Teenagers, children and people with all abilities are welcome. Bookings essential. Please RSVP to email@example.com or phone Mikoto on 0421 654 934.
- Low maintenance and sustainable gardening at BAAG. Sunday March 16. $45.
- Tomato harvest month. You can buy 10kg boxes of Rich River Roma tomatoes (Echuca) and help raise money for the Montmorency South Primary School’s Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden program at the same time. Cost per 10kg box is $20. Tomatoes are arriving at the school on 19th March. To order, email firstname.lastname@example.org. There will also be a Tomatorama Workshop held at the school on Saturday 22 March from 9.30am to 12pm. The workshop will feature demonstrations on bottling, relish and pickle-making, dehydrating and passata. Cost: $5 a head includes notes and morning tea. To book, email email@example.com.
- Espalier at BAAG. Thursday March 20, $45.
- Backyard irrigation workshop. Sunday 23rd March, 10am – 2pm at Murundaka Cohousing Community, 42 Bamfield Road, Heidelberg Heights. Angelo from Deep Green Permaculture, will demonstrate how to install and run a backyard irrigation system – saving water and time in the garden, as well as strategies for gardening in a changing climate. RSVP as above.
- Harvest skill share. March 30, 1 – 4pm, Edendale. Free to Harvest Feast participants, $10 others. This is another Harvest Month event.
- Fermenting for health – sourdough bread, kefir and kombucha with Petra. Sunday April 6, 12 -5pm, Mont Sth Primary, $75/65, bookings Fiona 0412 099 397, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Simply Free Range
Have you heard of this shop in Rosanna? It is owned by a Camperdown farmer who grows beef and lamb and sources chicken from hazeldenes and pork from Happy Valley (Yarra Valley). They also distribute Jonesy’s milk and a range of other Victorian produce. See the website for more information.
Other food activities/information
Have you heard of this term? It seems to relate to much of our motivation and activities in the local food movement. Read some more here.
Meat free week March 24-30th
This is being organised by Sustainable Table and they have offered a free e-copy of meat free recipes on their website.
CERES Harvest Festival
Saturday 22nd March 2014 – 10am – 6pm. A little slice of the country in the heart of the city. Cake baking comp, live music, animals, kids activities, delicious organic food and talented local artists and artisans. Entry is free and there is plenty for the kids to do. For more information contact 9389 0100 or visit the website.