Local food-related events
This Sunday, Edendale, Eltham, 10am – 4:30pm. See Nillumbik Shire’s website for more detail. LFC will be there, hoping to meet many of you.
Food swap and food garden
The combination of these two activities at the Diamond Valley Library is very exciting now. Last week we planted sultana grape cuttings near the 2 fruit trees – apple and pear. Some weeds were pulled from the main garden bed and silverbeet and coriander planted. Some lettuce and herbs were harvested to share with library users! The children love to water with the little cans, and see how many snails they can find! And of course, much home grown produce was swapped.
Panton Hill Festival – On the Hill
Organisers are looking for bakers and gardeners to enter their competitions. Entry forms are due in to the L&L Centre by Friday Oct 18! Contact email@example.com or ring 9433 3792.
- Baking – Good old fashioned sponge, scones, pies, tarts & cakes.
- Decorated cakes or biscuits on the theme of bug, bees & butterflies (young cooks are especially encouraged to enter this section).
- Preserves – jams, sauces, fruit, relishes, pickles or liqueurs.
- Floral art – arrange a bunch of flowers from your garden.
- Garden produce – gather a variety of edibles from your garden.
Home Harvest Feast 2014
Don’t forget to register if you are a home food grower!
Other food activities/information
Seed planting tips
This is a handy little video from the Little Vegie Patch on planting seeds. After viewing on Youtube, you may notice other films related to growing veggies that may interest you.