Leaf, Root & Fruit is one of our most interesting local blogs (they are based in Hawthorn East). Here is a list of their posts which relate to food growing.
How to grow …
Growing fruit trees
- Day length and plants (photoperiodism).
- Using a refractometer to measure nutrient density of fruit and veggies.
- How to control possums.
- Measuring rainfall: Why you should be doing it.
- Powdery mildew and other fungus.
- Three sisters gardening, an ancient form of companion planting.
- Making bordeaux spray to prevent leaf curl.
- Using eggshells in the garden.
The main conclusions from their growing media experiments:
- Which commercial fertiliser is best?: “even with the best quality fertilisers, terrible soil is difficult to improve“.
- Which potting mix is best?: “There is a huge variation in the performance of each of the potting mixes.” and thus “Never underestimate the importance of good quality soil in growing your fruit and veggies. Interestingly, price isn’t always a good indicator of quality.“.
- Which soil conditioner is best?: “the best soil amendments in our trial were worm castings in heavy doses, chicken manure in light doses, and Richgro Organic Fruit and Citrus Fertiliser [their top ranked Certified Organic fertiliser]“.