In the current crisis
Eltham Farmers’ Market is being held every Sunday, from 8am to midday.
With the advent of coronavirus, the market has implemented various changes with the aim of making it the safest place to shop. To stay informed, sign up to our Market Bulletin.
Our advertised hours are currently from 8am to midday. The earlier start has proved effective in spreading the times people shop and limiting the need for an external queue.
To-date, any delay has been short.
To avoid a queue, the best times to shop are between 8am and 9am and after 10am.
Both our entry and our internal queues are marked to encourage respect of the 1.5 metres social distancing requirement. The social distance message is supported by signage, announcements and the active involvement of market staff.
- We have a portable sink available for customer use with warm water hand washing facilities.
- Hand sanitiser is available for customer use.
- We encourage you to use cards where possible.
- Customers are asked not to touch the produce.
- Please comply with our recommendations and any others published by our governments.
- Respect the space of others by complying with the 1.5 metre social distancing rule.
- If you have any symptoms or risk factors stay at home. This includes those who may have had contact with possible virus carriers.
- When you come to the market, moderating the size of your party to those who really need to be there will assist our social distancing goals.
- Shopping efficiently and moderating the time spent at the market will assist us to minimise any delay for those queuing.
Please address enquiries (including stallholder enquiries) to Chris Chapple by phone (0407 431 366) or elthamFM@gmail.com
Eltham Farmers’ Market is held every Sunday, from 8am to midday. On the 4th Sunday of each month, there is a Food Swap from 9.30am to 10.30am. On selected Sundays, there is also a Community Market Stall. [During the current crisis, neither the food swap nor the community stall are happening.]
The market is located on the car park at Eltham Town Mall, which is in the centre of Eltham at 10-18 Arthur Street. Entry is free.
There are a full range of stalls, from veggies and fruit to condiments and sweet treats. All the stallholders are from within Victoria, with around half from within North East Melbourne (around 15 from Nillumbik and a further 30 from the surrounding suburbs). This is a much higher number of truly local stallholders than at any other farmers’ market in Melbourne. All are selling their own produce (i.e. no re-sellers).
Eltham Farmers’ Market aims to be a single-use, plastic bag free market. Please bring your own bags. In addition, as a substitute for plastic bags, market visitors will be offered two sustainable alternatives:
- A re-usable jute bag. Eltham Farmers’ Market branded jute bags are available at the information marquee for $5 each.
- A ‘boomerang bag’. Boomerang bags are bags contributed by the public. They are available at the information marquee for visitors to borrow at no cost and returned back to the market at a future visit. Hence the word boomerang, as the bags (hopefully) keep coming back. [During the current crisis, we are avoiding same day bag recycling and ask that unwanted bags are not left if our marquee is unattended.]
The market offsets estimated CO2 emissions generated by our stallholders travelling to and from the market by partnering with Greenfleet to plant an equivalent amount of biodiverse native trees to offset the calculated CO2 emissions. The aim is to reduce the net food miles (after offsets) of the food you purchase at the market towards zero. Read more.
- If you provide your own cup, the price of a coffee is reduced by 50 cents [currently suspended due to COVID-19].
- If you want free coffee grounds for your veggie patch, just ask.
The market has been accredited by the Victorian Farmers’ Market Association (VFMA). It is a Local Food Connect initiative.
Please address any questions on the market, including stallholder enquiries, to Chris Chapple by phone (0407 431366) or email (elthamFM@gmail.com).
Location and Directions – Eltham Town Mall, 10-18 Arthur Street
There is a regular train service from Melbourne to Eltham via the Hurstbridge line. For train times go to Metro Trains. The market is a 5 minute walk from the station and bus terminus, which are on the west side of Main Road.
Drive to the centre of Eltham on Main Road and then turn into Dudley Street or Arthur Street. There is plenty of parking available nearby, in both Circulatory Road, which runs along the Eastern (uphill) side of the town centre, as well as in Dudley and Arthur Streets.
We aim to provide an experience that is accessible to all our community. The level bitumen surface of the site is an advantage for anyone with mobility issues and public seating is available. Access by car is good: the site is surrounded by car parks, including disabled parks, some of which are at the same level as the market.
There are 16 disabled parking bays in the immediate vicinity:
- 12 at Safeway/Woolworths (enter via Arthur Street).
- 2 in Dudley Street.
- 2 in the Circulatory Road car park.