The seed libraries in Darebin are the result of a 2020 initiative by Darebin Council and those in Banyule and Nillumbik are the result of a 2021 joint initiative by Banyule and Nillumbik Councils.
All the seed libraries operate on a similar philosophy, namely:
- Take – visit a seed library and take the seeds you would like to grow.
- Grow – grow the seeds at home, but leave at least one plant to go to seed.
- Save – save some seeds for next year from the healthiest plants.
- Share – return some of the saved seeds to the seed library.
Banyule & Nillumbik (green icons)
Darebin (blue icons)
Other (red icons)
To save your seeds:
- Decide what seeds you are going to save.
- Write the name of the plant on a ribbon or strip of brightly coloured fabric and tie it to your chosen plant so that you can recognise what plant it is after it is all dried out.
- Wait until the seeds mature then collect the seed heads and place in a paper bag with the ribbon label.
- Clean and sort.
- Make and label some seed packets.
- Store some and share some with the seed libraries.