If you want to eat food that was locally grown or made, you have lots of choices. If you want to eat Certified Organic food, you again have lots of choices. But if you want to eat food that is both local and Certified Organic then, at least in North East Melbourne, your choices are very limited. In this context, this article essentially provides a number of lists organised under the following headings:
- Local Certified Organic food producers.
- Local sources of non-local Certified Organic produce.
- Not certified but ….
Local Certified Organic food producers
I am aware of only 5 Certified Organic food producers in North East Melbourne, namely:
- Australian Harvest / Bio Grape (vinegars, mustards, jams, chutneys, sauces and fruit pastes).
- Hildebrand Ridge Organic Vineyard (wine).
- Organic Times (chocolate).
- Petty’s Orchard (apples).
- Sure Things (garlic).
Local sources of non-local Certified Organic produce
There are lots of shops around North East Melbourne which sell Certified Organic produce. For example, within 10Km of Eltham, there are 4 such: Dynamic Vegies (Eltham); The Natural Food Market (Montmorency); Organic Fix (Eltham); and Yarra Organics (Templestowe).
Perhaps the most well known shop is Terra Madre (Northcote) – a truly wonderful shop.
Most farmers’ markets will have a number of Certified Organic stallholders. For example, there are 4 such at Eltham Farmers’ Market: Australian Harvest / Bio Grape; Peninsula Fresh Organics; Schulz Organic Farms; and Telopea Mtn Permaculture & Nursery.
Of particular note are those stalls which sell a full range of vegetables. These include:
- Baw Baw Organics: at Collingwood Children’s Farm Farmers’ Market and Abbotsford Convent Farmers’ Market.
- Peninsula Fresh Organics: at Eltham Farmers’ Market and Abbotsford Convent Farmers’ Market.
- Spring Creek Organics: at Carlton Farmers’ Market and Fairfield Farmers’ Market.
Finally, there are a number of local organisations who will deliver Certified Organic produce to your home, including:
Click here to see which if these will deliver to your suburb/postcode.
Not certified but …
Certified Organic ingredients
A few of the producers in the Local Food Directory say that basically all the ingredients in their products are Certified Organic: