Each month, a gardening-related quote is added to this page.
- “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.” A Chinese proverb..
- “To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves.” by Mahatma Gandhi.
- “Plant and your spouse plants with you; weed and you weed alone.” by Jean-Jacques Rousseau.
- “To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour.” by William Blake.
- “Gardening is not a rational act.” by Margaret Atwood.
- “All gardeners know better than other gardeners.” A Chinese proverb.
- “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.” by Abraham Lincoln.
- “Sweet, sane, still nakedness in nature! Ah if poor, sick, prurient humanity in cities might really know you once more!” by Walt Whitman in Specimen Days, 1882.
- “If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.” by Marcus Tullius Cicero.
- “No occupation is so delightful to me as the culture of the earth, and no culture comparable to that of the garden.” by Thomas Jefferson.
- “My life now is just trees. Trees and champagne.” by Judi Dench.
- “Gardening has just sort of grown on me. I find it therapeutic. And I like smelly things.” by Clive Anderson.
- “The best place to find God is in a garden. You can dig for him there.” by George Bernard Shaw.
- “I love things that are indescribable, like the taste of an avocado or the smell of a gardenia.” by Barbra Streisand.
- “Do not spread the compost on the weeds.” by William Shakespeare (in Hamlet).
- “I think we all have a dream of what it would be like not to work and grow heirloom tomatoes, and I do have that dream. It would be lovely. I do love gardening and all of that, but I also love my work.” by Helen Mirren.
- “My neighbour asked if he could use my lawnmower and I told him of course he could, so long as he didn’t take it out of my garden.” by Eric Morecambe.
- “To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.” by Audrey Hepburn.
(submitted by Sue Sedelies)