The Food Collective
The Food Collective is an initiative of Diamond Valley Community Support which brings together a number of local delivery and donation partners, community organisations and individuals to address food security challenges for vulnerable and disadvantaged community members in the Diamond Valley Region. They do this by sourcing and supplying basic non-perishable food parcels of everyday necessities to those who are experiencing financial crisis and needing emergency relief assistance.
One of its main initiatives to date has been the establishment of community pantries around Banyule and Nillumbik. These pantries contain non-perishable food which is accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week, require no appointments and are open to whoever needs food.
Their philosophy is give what you can, take what you need, with people able to donate to the pantry as well.
Their pantries are in:
- Diamond Creek (St Johns Diamond Creek). Open 24/7 and managed by Carenet.
- Eltham (Eltham Lions Club). Open 24/7 and managed by Carenet.
- Greensborough (Greenhills Neighbourhood House). Open 24/7 (with a larger pantry open Monday to Friday, 9am-3pm) and managed by the neighbourhood house.
- Hurstbridge (Hurstbridge Community Hub). Open 24/7 and managed by the Vines Baptist Church.
- Panton Hill (Panton Hill Living & Learning Centre). Open 24/7 and managed by the Living & Learning Centre.
- Rosanna (Rosanna Fire Station Neighbourhood House). Open 24/7 and managed by the neighbourhood house.
- Strathewen (Strathewen Primary School). Open 24/7 and managed by the school.
- Warrandyte (Warrandyte Neighbourhood House). Open Wednesdays, 10am-midday and managed by Carenet.