Join a vibrant food culture, growing and eating local
Covering all matters food across North East Melbourne
Whether you are a local food producer, want to eat local food, grow veggies in your garden or just want to meet like-minded folks, Local Food Connect is for you. Join now.
Eltham Farmers’ Market, a Local Food Connect initiative, is held every Sunday.
The purpose of this website and associated newsletter is twofold: to promote all aspects of local food around North East Melbourne and to make people around North East Melbourne feel part of a local food community.
The material is centred on 5 databases:
- Upcoming local food-related events: all the upcoming events of various types, around 400 per month.
- Local food producers: pages on each of around 130 producers, both farmers and makers.
- Local community gardens: pages on each of the 60 community gardens in the area
- Local food swaps: details of the 30 food swaps in the area.
- Local food justice organisations: including ‘food is free’ sites, free food distribution organisations and free community meals.
These databases are brought together into an overall Local Food Directory which contains pages for each of 300 or so local food organisations.
In addition, there are articles written by a variety of local people on: